Monday, December 3, 2012

The Replacements

I posted awhile back about replacing some of my original 30 goals with some new ones. I have gone back and forth on it a little, but in the end I decided that I wanted to go ahead with the change. This project is mine and I want to use it to transform how I spend my time and to get things done that I have always wanted to do.

So, on onwards!

I haven't come up with all the replacement goals yet, but I have couple.


  1. Eat a Steak (or try a steak). Are you a little surprised? Wasn't I just vegan? Didn't I have this long explanation for why I don't eat meat and why I feel bad for even eating cheese? Why would I possible want to eat steak!? Simple - I never have. I went veggie when I was 13 meaning I never had good steak. I never tried really good quality meat. When I gave up meat what that meant was that I was giving up chicken fingers and pepperoni on my pizza. Over the past year or so I have been trying some meat-items that I never got to experience because of my vegetarianism. There was the lobster that I picked out, killed myself (poor barnacle face and bubbles...) and ate last summer: 



And then last Christmas my dad made me some scallops for the first time. They were....oddly textured. 

So this year I may let my dad cook me a steak. Why my dad? a) He makes delicious food b) he knows he will get to eat most of it in the end and c) he isn't offended if I involuntarily throw up as a result. 

    2. Do a month of from-scratch cooking. I have been fascinated by how people eat and where food comes from for a long time. This as, in part, led me to try making various things from scratch, from bread to butter to my own caramel earlier this year. I have a bunch of recipes that I have collected for items and so I thought now is as good a time as any to makes myself use them! What this means that that for a month I will only eat things at home that I make myself from raw ingrediants where ever possible. No - I will not make my own soy milk, but yes, I will try to make my own tofu. If it works, awesome! If not, hey I tried. The point isn't to live like a pioneer, it is to LEARN and experience food in a new way. 

    3. Not sure on this one. Options are: Take Highland dancing lessons (did you know I used to Highland dance? Well you know now); Something yoga-ish; get a tattoo (still thinking about that one); take a cooking class; something I haven't thought of yet...


So there ya go. Lots in the works.

In other news I had a lovely holiday party last night with some bookish-friends from Twitter. Desserts were eaten, gifts exchanged, and lots and lots of book-conversation was had. It was the best thing ever. 

Annnnnd I am going to be crossing one of the biggies off my list pretty soon. Super huge gulp. It is scary stuff for me. But more on that later. 



2 comments:

  1. okay i know this has nothing to do with this post but i was thinking about your decorating ideas and one of your goals is to print off 20 photos a month. something you could maybe do is get a bunch (5? 20?) frames and put the photos (or your very favourites) on your walls/shelves each month. every time you print new ones you get a new wall and the previous months' go in the album.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. to clarify because i didn't reread that whatsoever before i posted: 20 frames (or less) new photos in the same frames each month. "new" wall being new stuff to look at rather than choose a new wall each month.
      this explanation probably makes even less sense.

      Delete