Sunday, January 13, 2013

Needing to DO something


I kind of wish that more of my 30 goals were things that I could check off. There is a real satisfaction in crossing things off of that massive list, and a real sense of stagnation that comes when you're not. Sure, I'm DOING stuff - I'm knitting, and the quilting project will soon begin (I have no monies, it is hard to get supplies without them). But I haven't had the satisfaction of finishing something in a while.

So, when I can't DO, I plan.

I've decided to schedule "rock climbing month" in for March. I rock climbed for a year back in 2006-2007 when I was in China, but haven't gone ONCE since returning to Canada (sad!) I always loved it though and found it to be the perfect "sport" for non-athletic me. The reason for the HUGE delay - I's poor. But I will be going here: $35 for the first lesson and then $135 for my 10 times-pass. Sold!

Also, I am one poetry reading away from completing #24. So I am going this month. Let's Google one right now, shall we?

Um...AMAZING GOOGLE FIND. Toronto Poet Laureate George Elliot Clarke will be preforming at the Drake Hotel Underground on January 26. FIVE DOLLARS. In.

I also need to do some planning for "Make-it-from-scratch" month, but I feel like doing that while poor might actually be beneficial. Maybe April? It will require a lot of planning. Also, a conversation today/yesterday regarding garbage and waste brought back all my Masters research, and I'm inspired to start trying to live in more zero-waste-y ways. Those of you who knew me then can likely recall the enthusiasm I had regarding garbage-resource stuff.* We shall see!

I am also getting terrified of not getting to do the trips. Mostly because I have ZERO money. Damn unpaid-ness of this internship! But I also will have 3 months with nothing to "do" at the end of it, so maybe I could go then? Work for 2 weeks and then just bum my way to Chicago and Boston and...Vancouver? The country is huge and that is awesome but really makes traveling expensive...anyway. If there is someone out there reading this and has access to cheap airplane tickets or wants to lend me their car for a weekend, I will love you for all of time. :D

In real-life updates, I had a delightful weekend that involved a soup exchange (exactly what it sounds like) and a book club and a nice brunch with some friends. I was SUPPOSED to hang out in a yurt tonight, but then I got all icky feeling and tired and thought that it may be best to have relaxed-yurt-hangouts, as opposed to "I don't wanna be in this yurt" yurt hangouts. Luckily my yurt-buddy was understanding and wonderful.

It was one of those weekend where you feel so content just by being in the presence of awesome people. So to those of you I saw: Thanks for being awesome. And to those of you I didn't: We should be awesome together soon, please.

In the exciting world of interning, I mostly have discovered that sitting at a desk all day HURTS. Sure babies were heavy and that hurt too, but my body is all pissy over not getting to, you know, move for hours at a time. As a result, I may brave the cold and start winter-running again. I'm getting all pudgy around the middle from the combined "cookies at my desk" and "sitting at my desk" evils. No likey.

Aside from that, it continues to be pretty awesome!

Hope all in well in your corners of the world!

*Fun Carrie-fact: while doing my Masters degree I was part of a waste-research student club. We would get together and share our various waste-oriented research. It. Was. Awesome. (We also called ourselves "York Gets Wasted"). I also got permission to do a ride-along with a private garbage collector for CREDIT during the garbage strike, but it ended before I could make the arrangements. I was REALLY sad. I may be opening a can of worms (Which I would then use for an under-the-sink compost)

No comments:

Post a Comment