Thursday, November 15, 2012

My Quilt

Since my declaration that I would start quilting despite not having a sewing machine, I have been popping in and out of thrift shops looking for fabric to repurpose. However, in much the same way that I kept looking at paint for my shelves before taking necessary steps to know which colour I would need, I realized that looking for fabric was a little premature.

I needed a pattern.

Using a quilt pattern became a clear necessity once I started to look them up for colour-combo ideas. I am little foolish flat-out stupid for thinking that I could just "wing it" - quilts are complicated business! But for me, one of the most important things that a pattern offers is a clear prescription for how much of each fabric you will need to create a final product. And while I want to use repurposed material as much as possible, I also want to create something nice, that I will like to look at and actually use.

So I took a step back and looked at patterns. I was looking for something that was

  1. easy (I'm a newb!)
  2. didn't require a lot of any one kind of fabric (needing 1 yard of many kinds will be easier to salvage than needing 6 yards of just a couple) 
  3. pretty! I definitely want something that I am going to LIKE and want to show off a little. 
There are some gorgeous patterns out there and it took a lot of time to narrow it down, mostly using time contraints and my current skill-level (zero) to help reign in my ambitions. 

The pattern I've settled on is "Picnic Parade" which can be found here - Have a look!



3 comments:

  1. this is leah, i don't know how posting comments works!

    my aunt does a lot of quilting and has made a quilt for everyone in our family (like all aunts, uncles, and cousins). i think mine is super amazing and i am wrapped up in it anytime i'm on the couch. i keep talking about making one myself but never get to it. good for you!
    (link to my aunts fb album of quilts, which you may or may not be able to see:
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.17352951480.2601.521386480&type=3

    this is mine, with the cat and flowers and stars - amazing! http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=41352906480&set=a.17352951480.2601.521386480&type=3&src=http%3A%2F%2Fsphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net%2Fhphotos-ak-snc7%2F332_41352906480_7422_n.jpg&size=604%2C453

    ReplyDelete
  2. also! my friend karley has started making quilts and lives in brantford. she just had a baby but made a couple in the last year. @krrley on twitter. she may have some tips for beginner quilters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leah! I couldn't open the links but that may just be my computer being foolish. I sent a follow-request to your friend - thanks! I may be in WAY over my head on this one. I'm really just hanging on to the fact that two of my sisters have successfully made a quilt, so if they can, so I can I. Right?!!?

      Also - SEE HOW EASY IT WAS TO COMMENT, EVERYONE!!!!!!!!

      Delete