Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Sponsoring a Family - Need your Help!

Hi Friends and Family, 

The time has come. I know how much you have been enjoying reading about my silly little 30x30 goals -the vegan month was a hoot, and we all were so relieved when I FINALLY finished that scarf, right?!

But the fun and games are going to be put on pause for just a moment - I need your help.

Actually, I need your money.

ACTUALLY, I don't, but someone in Toronto does.

Why? I've decided to Sponsor a family!

My motivation started out completely selfishly. I've been having a crummy month and feeling pretty sorry for myself. I don't like my job. My career seems like it will never get here. I haven't bought nice or new things in what feels like forever. I've been working every weekend and week-night to save up money for an internship that might not happen. And due to their cost:filling ratio I've been eating burritos Every. Day. (they are yummy, but I need something new!) My life sucks! Right?

Hell no.

I realized that I see people every day who would thank their stars for the life that I have - nice home, good job, full stomach, clean clothes. These are all a luxury and one that I should learn to appreciate more.

The other piece of why I decided to do this is the string of sexual assaults in Toronto in the past couple of weeks. I was rightfully upset by them and then suddenly struck with how lucky I am to live in a SAFE home. When I come home, I don't have to fear for myself. I can relax, eat, sleep, and wake up with no fear that someone here wants to and can do me harm. I am so incredibly lucky to live like this when there are so many women who don't.

So the end result is my decision to sponsor a family.



The problem though is I really can't afford to, haha. I am sponsoring through The Red Door and I am sending them a cheque for $200 to sponsor a family of two. That is $200 that I TOTALLY don't have as "extra." I have it, but it will mean spending beyond my means if all $200 comes from my pocket.

So I am turning to you - my readers. I KNOW YOU EXIST!!!!! I see each and every one of you on my page-hits and I know that together we can make this easy and stress-free and I won't have to write my parents an awkward email about why I need to borrow $200 from them.

So: If you are reading this, right now, PLEASE let me know if you can contribute. PayPal, e-transfer, and if you're in Toronto I will even come and pick up cash from you. Promise. Any amount will do - $2, $5, $10 - whatever you can contribute. You can rest assured that your donation will be sent directly to The Red Door because I've already sent it to them. Really, you owe me. (Too far on the guilt? Maybe.)

So Thank you Thank you THANK YOU! Everyone who helps out will of couse get a shout-out, or not if you ask me to hush hush. I will even do something crazy for you all in order to reach the $200 goal....hrmm...but what? Make a suggestion!

I am excited for us to do this together - you are all the best! (hey - mild flattery couldn't hurt, right?)


To Donate: email me at carriemacmillan@gmail.com - we can make arrangements that work best for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment