Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Nutritional Yeast canz be Cheeze?

Just a quick little update for you kiddos.

Dinner Wednesday night was vegan lasagna. I missed class so I could stay home and do homework (yeah...makes sense, right?) and I decided since I was home I wanted something hearty, baked, and nom-tastic. Especially considering that last night all I had for dinner was a vegan PB Nanaimo Bar.

So I surveyed my kitchen and decided on Lasagna. I have been curious about the nutritional yeast I got in my vegan swap package so I decided to make a cheese sauce to mix in to the lasagna. The recipe I used ended up going something like this:


  1. Put a spoonful of Earth Balance margarine in a pot and melt it. 
  2. Mix in 3/4 cup of unsweetened almond milk and a spoonful of flour to thicken. Whisk. 
  3. Dump in 1/2 cup+ of nutritional yeast. 
  4. Pinch of basil, oregano, thyme. Stir. 
  5. Layer cooked noodles, thawed chopped spinach from a forgotten time that you found in the freezer, frozen veggies (I used a stir fry mix) and tomato sauce in pan. 
  6. Pour cheese sauce over it. 
  7. Sprinkle daiya cheese on top
  8. Bake at 350 until it is all hot. 
  9. Eat. 
  10. Get seconds and eat again
Yeah - it was DELISH. The Nutritional yeast was shockingly cheese-like. I am still amazed. I thoroughly enjoyed it and will definitely use NY in future recipes!

Before

About to be nom'd
 

No comments:

Post a Comment