Thursday, September 20, 2012

Great week :)

There are moments when I wonder if this whole "I want to get a job in publishing" dream of mine is a total waste of time. I often feel completely overwhelmed by the volume of information that is out there and my not knowing very much of it at all. I listen to articulate and intelligent people speak about the business of books in Canada, the history of book selling in Canada, and the people who are involved in this industry and to be honest, sometimes I feel totally lost.

And then, sometimes I don't. Last night I had a group project to work on (we are participating in Pub Fight, which is hosted by BookNet Canada. It is like fantasy football for publishing nerds and it is amazing). We had a week to talk in our group about titles we wanted, what sold well last year, and what kind of strategy to use. I felt like I contributed as much as I could to the choices we made, but my team was so impressed with the experience I had and my ideas, it really was nice! And after class I was talking to one of my team-members about my internships and experiences so far in the industry and in doing so I had the opportunity to really see just how much I did know.

Then Laurie Grassi (Book editor at Chatelaine) commented on my book blog which made my night/week/month. Then Sarah MacLachlan replied very kindly to one of my tweets which made me shriek with delight (she is the publisher at my favourite Canadian press, House of Anansi).

Not "big and exciting" stuff necessarily, but definitely showed me that I do know people, and I do know the industry better than I thought I did.

Update on non-book-nerd-stuff:

  • job apps job apps job apps (one for a real job, not just an internship where they don't pay me!)
  • running has been reduced to twice a week. Medical advice. So - that is happening now. 
  • WOTS is this weekend so I'll be volunteering both with the festival and with stellaa.org; if you're in Toronto then come out
I think that is it. Not too much exciting stuff to share I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment